Superfood Mushroom Mocha, Two Ways•
Posted on October 22 2018
This superfood mushroom mocha is made with raw cacao, coffee (or chicory if you prefer), chaga, lion’s mane and coconut oil to give you a real boost in the winter. Similar to a bulletproof coffee, the fats in coconut oil help to stabilise the release of caffeine – avoiding that crash many of us get.
Additionally, we add chaga mushroom for it’s anti-viral properties, which could protect us in the colder weather when many of us get ill. We also add lion’s mane, known for its ability to support memory, concentration and nervous system. Many of us feel fatigued and lethargic in the winter months, and so consuming lion’s mane regularly could help you feel more focused.
We decided to offer you two ways to make your superfood mushroom mocha, perhaps one day you're feeling a cosy hot chocolate style drink and another, you want something a little more punchy, so we've kept to a more traditional mocha recipe. Take your pick and enjoy!
For the hot chocolate style mocha:
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder or 2 1.5 tbsp grated raw cacao liquor
- Double espresso shot (or single if you prefer your coffee weaker)
- 2 tsp virgin coconut oil
- Coconut sugar to taste (we like to use about 1.5 tsp)
- ½ tsp of reishi mushroom powder
- ½ tsp of chaga mushroom powder
- 50 ml of Oatly Barista
- 50 ml Cashew milk (we like Plenish)
- Optional boosters: Cinnamon for blood sugar regulation, cayenne pepper for a bit of a kick, extra dusting of raw cacao or caco liquor for added luxury!
For the traditional mocha coffee version:
- Double espresso shot
- 1 or 2 tsp raw cacao or raw cacao liquor
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ - ½ tsp of chaga mushroom (mushrooms can add quite a bitter and particular taste, so go with what your taste buds prefer!)
- ¼ - ½ tsp of reshi mushroom
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 100ml Oatly Barista
Superfood Mushroom Mocha Recipe
Hot chocolate version:
- Add both milks to your blender, followed by all ingredients except for the coffee. We add the liquid first as we find that the powders stick to the sides of the blender if we combine them the other way around.
- Make your double espresso shot (if you don’t have an espresso machine, feel free to use a cafeteria but make sure you minus the volume of water from your volume of milk) and add to the blender. Blend for about 30 seconds to a minute to make sure all the ingredients have smoothly combined.
- Transfer to a milk pan and heat gently until the liquid reaches desired drinking temperature. To preserve nutrients further, you could heat up until 42 °C but no higher, this helps to retain the raw state of the ingredients.
- Pour into two glasses, and sprinkle with cinnamon, cayenne pepper or raw cacao as desired. Alternatively, you could add cinnamon and/or cayenne pepper to the blend.
Mocha coffee version:
- Using a coffee machine, make a double shot of espresso.
- Add to the espresso your mushroom powders, raw cacao, coconut oil and sugar. Stir to combine. The espresso will thicken with the powders, if it appears too thick, top up with a little extra boiling water - but only a little.
- Add milk to a milk jug, and froth using your coffee machine attachment or hand held milk frothier.
- Pour milk into your espresso. Start by adding a small amount and swirling to combine, then continue to pour in a circular direction, slowly and form quite some distance away. If you want to try your hand at latte art, bring the milk jug closer as you reach the top. We love this slow motion video for learning how to create patterns on top!
If you make this Superfood Mushroom Mocha, let us know! You can tag us in your pictures over on Instagram.
p.s. If you're entering fall seasons and you're all about moving into a slower, cosier pace of life, you might enjoy our Vegan White Hot Chocolate, our Unisex Cotton Sweaters or our free guide to Yoga for Fall.
What Makes the Pric...
As consumers, we’re faced with making decisions about what to purchase every day and often there can be some conflict between our needs, budget a...Read More
Post Corona effects...
What would our lives be like after the Co-vid-19 pandemic? Having a team of founders made of ex-cityboy and fashion designer- we’ve been discussing...Read More
Rethinking New Year...
Gabriella Artini and Kai Jordan are revolutionary life and couples coaches, who are changing the way people perceive and live out their lives and r...Read More