Spiced White Hot Chocolate
Posted on November 18 2017
This EndoLife's Spiced White Hot Chocolate
Jessica Duffin is the creator of This EndoLife, a blog and podcast supporting women battling chronic health issues, in particular, endometriosis. Jessica uses holistic methods, such as mindfulness, exercise, diet and alternative therapies to support women to live a healthy lifestyle and manage their conditions.
This Spiced White Hot Chocolate is warming, comforting and perfect for cosy autumn nights. Using nut and oat milks, the recipe is completely plant-based and uses raw cacao which is full of antioxidants. Additionally, the cinnamon and cacao help boost mood, which is ideal during these dark seasons.
Spiced White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- One cartoon of Oatly Cream/or 250ml of Foamable Oatly
- 100ml Rude Health Almond milk (for sweetness)
- One/two vanilla pods or 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- Two cardamon pods slightly crushed or half a teaspoon of cardamon powder - I noticed the powder is quite gritty, so I think pods are best
- 40 grams of cacao butter, I prefer using cacao butter drops as they melt quicker
- Half a teaspoon of nutmeg (you may want to start with less and taste test, depending on how strong you like your nutmeg!)
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
Pour the milk and cream into a blender and add the vanilla and spices (not the cardamon if you're using pods).
If you're using a block of cacao butter, either break it up with a knife or grate it into a glass bowl (if you're using drops then omit this). Place the glass bowl over a saucepans filled a third of the way with water (the water should not be touching the bowl) and heat slowly, to retain the nutrients.
In a separate saucepan, slowly heat the milk and cream, with the cardamon pods.
Once the cacao butter has melted, quickly add it to the milk and cream mix and blend. Pour into a saucepan, and slowly heat to combine further and reach desired temperature, stirring continuously. Strain to remove pods.
Serve in your favourite mug!
Words and pictures by Jessica Duffin