Healthy Mocha, Almond and Chocolate Chunk Brownies•
Posted on April 20 2018
Heather Crosby is the multi-talented culinary extraordinaire, author and founder of Yum Universe. Heather creates incredible plant-based goodness, that are not only packed full of nutrients, but fill that comfort food hole in your life when you first go plant-based or perhaps have to cut out a food group due to sensitivities.
To celebrate the end of UK Coffee Week, Heather is sharing with us her indulgent, rich plant-based Mocha, Almond and Chocolate Chunk Brownies recipe - which even includes vegetables!
Mocha, Almond and Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Roasted chicory root tea is a nice caffeine-free substitute for coffee in these brownies if you want to change it up. Be sure to source a gluten-free, vegan chocolate bar if you have sensitivities. Heather recommends serving warm with vanilla Nice Cream and/or Butterscotch from her book YumUniverse: Pantry to Plate.
- ¾ cup (110 g) raw, unsalted almonds
- Pinch plus ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) unrefined coconut oil, gently warmed to liquid, plus more for greasing
- 1¼ cup (200 g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup (200 g) Sucanat
- ¾ cup (85 g) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup (25 g) cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground psyllium husk
- 1½ cups (195 g) diced carrots, steamed and puréed
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170 g) chopped dark chocolate (one to two 3-ounce/85 g bars)
- ¼ cup (20 g) fine-ground coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Scatter the almonds in one layer on the sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Roast for 7 minutes, remove, cool, chop, and set aside.
- Grease an 8- or 9-inch (20 to 23 cm) square baking dish with oil. In a large bowl, stir together the rice our, Sucanat, almond our, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium, and the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the carrot purée, oil, water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until thoroughly incorporated, then fold in the chocolate, coffee, and almonds. Spread in the baking dish and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the edges and center are dry. Cool entirely in the dish, slice, and enjoy. Store in the fridge for a few weeks, or freeze for a few months.
Recipe from YumUniverse Pantry to Plate © Heather Crosby, 2017. Photographs copyright © Heather Crosby, 2017. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Klementina Dukoska is the founder of sustainable and ethical fashion brand, Ocean Goddesses. A brand that not only creates beautiful, timeless dres...Read More
What I Really Think...
Natalia Zawada is the Head Designer and Founder of STARSEEDS. The sustainable designer began her life in high fashion with Alexander McQueen before...Read More
The STARSEEDS Ultim...
From yoga studios, beaches to foodie destinations; here's the STARSEEDS Ultimate Bali Travel Guide.Read More